Pré-requisites to ZTFY packages installation
Before trying to install a new Zope 3 environment, you should take care that everything is setup correctly and that your working system already profides several tools; the different tools given below are given for a **Debian GNU/Linux** environment, but their configuration should be easily transposed to other environments.
You must check that your environment provides:
- a compiler, generaly GCC; it's required to build several packages like PIL or ZODB3.
- a Python interpreter; ZTFY packages have been build with releases 2.5 to 2.7, and are not compatible with Python 3. The installed interpreter must be installed with it's development headers ("python-dev" packages).
- "libjpeg", "libpng", "libgif" and "libfreetype6" libraries, all with their development headers ("-dev" packages); these libraries are required to build a fully operational PIL package. "libxml2" and "libxslt", always with their development headers, can be required by some packages, notably lxml.
- an Apache server; it's not mandatory for a development environment, but production sites should always be hidden behind an Apache server.
- WSGI module for Apache ('libapache2-mod-wsgi' package); WSGI is the actual way to deploy Python web applications, and it's probably the most efficient. WSGI extensions now exist for all major HTTP servers but they can require a specific configuration which won't be described here.